3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 12:53 PM by Susan Baier

Visualizing survey data: percentage of respondents who said "yes" to a series of questions in a single viz

Natalie Giggy

Hi all,

I'm working with some survey data that was collected over a three month time period. The survey included some questions that were meant to test comprehension of a training session that the respondents participated in. I'm interested in showing the percentage of respondents who gave the correct answer to q1, q6, and q7 over time all on in viz (the correct answers to each questions are shown in blue on the "Results by Question" dashboard in the attached workbook) to show whether the teachers improved their teaching on these different topics over time. I'm hoping you all may be me able to give me some suggestions of the most efficient way to do this. In the past, I have gone about similar problems by creating the following three calculated fields for each of the questions:

1) a binary variable that give the correct answer a value of 1 and incorrect answers a value of 0

2) the number of respondents who gave the correct answer (sum of calculation 1)

3) the percentage of respondents who gave the correct answer (calculation 2/number of records)

Then I put measure values on columns and time on rows. The problem with this is that I need the tooltip to show both the % of respondents that gave the correct answer and the number of respondents that gave the correct answer, and I don't think I can do both at once using this method. The other issue is that this is pretty time consuming, and I'd like to find a more efficient way to do this because I often have a need to show the % of respondents who said "yes" to a series of questions using survey data. I don't know if this would necessarily be easier/more efficient using the Tableau data reshaping tool in Excel.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cheers,

Natalie