I had the exact same problems and have pretty much the same set up as you. For me upgrading the desktop to 8.1.2 and then 8.1.3 made all the difference. I haven't had the multiple log-in issue since the upgrade. Not sure if you have the latest version, but I'd recommend that. And...just in case: Upgrading Tableau Desktop | Tableau Software
I am having the exact same problem. Using Mac Virtual Box, and On Premises server. Both versions were upgraded to 8.1.3 yesterday and today I am having even worse problems, because now the Desktop is not even publishing with the frequent password request
BTW I was having the problem only intermittent when upgraded from version 8.0 to 8.1 both in Desktop and Server
Thanks Jonathan and Edmundo. At least I know, I'm not crazy.
Edmundo: you've added some useful information here, that you're using an On Premises server. So the problem is not limited to Tableau Online. I'm also thinking that I won't replace my current version with any further updates until we get some signal that the problem is fixed. I'm on the hook for an important demonstration later this month. If my ability to upload is totally crippled, it would be a major embarrassment.
I did not have this problem at all until V.8.1
At first we thought that it was related with the MS Access Database Engine package (we do not have Office installed in the server, so, we upgraded the Engine to the latest available at the Tableau Downloads page) nothing.
Checked the server monitor configuration to see whether it was needing some permissions, nada.
Checked if Tableau server was actually being able to identify the Data Sources, OK.
I am using the default Administrator account as base to publish, so I am sure that I have all the permissions to upload information. Also we checked that the user was enabled in the IIS and the server Windows Accounts.
Also tried on different times during the day (to rule out WiFi / Ethernet traffic). Uploaded a plain archive with aprox the same size directly with a copy-paste action in Windows to see if there was any interruption, and no problems happened.
The server logs do not show anything wrong with it.
The server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 St SP1 / 4 Core Xeon / 8 Gb Memory / 100Gb Storage
Only 5 Interactors are actively using it right now since we are in the server testing phase... I really hope that we can pass it
PS: I was checking right now what was it, and left an upload unatended. Desktop did not return a progress bar, or any other warning, and in the end this time, it uploaded the dashboard correctly
Edmundo: your latest experience is consistent with mine. There's no pattern that I've been able to discern except that it rarely uploads clean with only one attempt. So I sit and wait for the next call for my password.
Tech Support had me install software (Fiddler) to monitor the connection and upload process and send them the logs along with the Tableau logs. We've gone through this process several times, but haven't found the problem yet.
Additionally, I sent them several of the files I was having trouble with and those files evidently uploaded clean from Windows based machines that were not operating in a virtual environment.
OK, I was about to ask you if you also had it with a Windows machine because I do.