Hendrik if you post a sample packaged workbook (or some data) I'll be happy to take a look and help you work this out.
thanks, this is very much appreciated.
Before I can do that I'll have to change the data, though, as I'm not sure if it is confidential.
I'll do that beginnnig of next week.
Thanks for now,
Hendrik, first welcome to the forums!
If you notice in the KB article they were not using the lat/long fields that Tableau generates:
They were using lat/long fields from the data source. This path technique doesn't work if you put the ZIPs in play. To generate the attached workbook I did these steps:
- Created a map using your Country & ZIP fields
- Right-Clicked the map and copy/pasted the results in an Excel file
- In the Excel file I deleted the "(generated)" from the Lat/Long headers (so as not to confuse Tableau, and me)
- Then copied the sheet to the clipboard
- Pasted (CTRL-V) it into Tableau (this is a little known, quick way to get data into Tableau).
- I dragged the new Latitude & Longitude fields from the Measures data window to the Dimensions data window
- Then I set up the map per the KB article, making sure to use the new lat/long fields.
Here are the results:
Some other notes:
- If you change 'Name' to 'City' then Tableau will recognize it and automatically assign it the correct geography, and put it into the Country/City hierarchy.
- Tableau does not 'recognize' small towns; meaning Tableau's generated lat/longs will show these as 'Unknown'. (The limit is 16K or 20K population, I can never remember which; and it may be different in countries other than the US.)
- Eventually you'll need to upgrade to 8.1 to participate in the forums, because fewer people will be able to post 8.0 workbooks in response to your questions. I usually keep the current and last version, so when 8.2 comes out I'll delete 8.0.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions about this.
Hope this helps
geoMapMinExample-SW.twbx 68.4 KB
Hendrik, I just added the attachment.
thanks a lot for getting this to work and also for your other hints.
To be honest, I find it quite disappointing that Tableau cannot manage to draw some source/destination lines based on generated coordinates...that's definitely something they should work on.
But thank you again and have a nice week,