1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2013 3:33 PM by Jonathan Drummey Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Compare a Given Month over different Years
        Jonathan Drummey

There isn't, unfortunately.

For the interaction you want, you might try having a data source that aggregates to the Month level for each product the last 36 month's worth of data, that wouldn't be too many rows, then you could do it all in Tableau and use a regular Quick Filter instead of a parameter or Filter Action.

• 16. Re: Compare a Given Month over different Years
          eli.goldner

Hi,

I don't think that importing all of that would work... you mentioned that it isn't worth doing it in Tableau (from the last paragraph of your first response to my question: Also, what's your data source and volumes? And what were you using for the SQL solution you're trying to get away from? I'm asking because getting that latest month inside Tableau generally either requires a table calc or a data blend, and for various reasons both can be computationally expensive. I've found doing the work in SQL can be faster.). You would need to calculate the month to display on the YoY graph based on the latest month for which have data for any given product (they can vary).

If you still feel that way, then I will need to go with the parameter approach.

If you feel otherwise, then we can go with the approach of importing all of the data... I don't think that it will be too much data, as we currently have 210 rows, and I would have 504 rows if I brought in 36 months of data for everything..

Thanks!

Eli

• 17. Re: Compare a Given Month over different Years
            eli.goldner

Jonathan,

If you have a moment (and if it still exists), can you please send over the workbook with the worksheets too? I am having some difficulty implementing the parameter based solution.

Thanks for your time and help!

Eli

• 18. Re: Compare a Given Month over different Years
              Jonathan Drummey

The worksheets are in the workbook, their tabs are hidden. When you have the dashboard open in Tableau, you can right-click on the sheet's entry in the worksheet list on the left to open it, or click on the sheet's menu in the upper right of the sheet. Once you have the sheet open, you can right-click on the tab to Unhide it.

Sent from my iPhone

1 2 Previous Next