[I posted this at the end of the last list, and discovered that with the new forum front page, there's no way to click through to it, without going to the top of the discussion, and then paging to the end of the last page (consider this an addition to the list!). To make it easier to get to I'm starting a new discussion.] [See Update below.]
Back on October 31, 2012 I started this "Fix Forums List". Two & half months later, I've just gone through all 55 responses that were posted [and others posted to the "I'm the Man" thread], and developed a progress report -- what has been fixed and what still needs fixing. If your forum experience/opinion is different on any of these items, please let us know.
And yes I know the progress has been disappointing, but Dustin continues to assure me that the broken stuff is being worked on, and that Jive will one day be able to drive the shinny new forums we all hope they will become. Here then is my report:
- Make the forums visible to Google search.
- Upload files to Ideas.
- Forum & Beta front pages are GREATLY improved with better ID of contributors
- The nonsensical "Trending Content" front pages have been eliminated
- No "how to craft a good question" guide, which should be required reading before being allowed to post (Recently Added. Thanks Tracy!)
IMPROVED, BUT NOT FIXED.
- Text filters and tag filters don't return full set of results in My Content, or other user's content, but it's better than it used to be
STILL BROKEN, UNAVAILABLE OR CUMBERSOME
- Search box in banner requires multiple logins and re-entry of search term
- Search still does not return all results
- Inline images produce broken links
- Idea links pasted in a message produce broken links
- Can't add tags to replies (tags only available to original poster)
- No ability to +1 answers, to promote best/right answer
- User content participation page sorts based on any user, not the specific users
- Official Tableau feedback on Ideas non-existent. [Individual employees sometime comment, which we appreciate!]
- Interface to tag/ping users is cumbersome multi-step process
- Files download as zips, requiring extra steps to extract [except on Tableau Public, why them not us?]
- Change to a different page to attach a file is "silly"
- Viz Talk and Ideas front pages don't have the new front page formatting
- There isn't a "I got this one" flagging system, so many times two of us simultaneously work on the same problem, return the same answer within seconds of each other -- wasting our of time
- Prevent anyone from posting a twb workbook, ever [THE biggest time waster!]
- Image pop-up windows don't resize to browser window size (tough on mobile browsers)
- Point system needs adjusting, to become relevant again
- There is no responder rating system
- There is no response/answer rating system
- No Forums FAQ
- A "Platforms" section hasn't been added to the forums (i.e., Teradata, Oracle, Cloudera, SAP)
- A Twitter section in the Bio hasn't been added
- A Culture section hasn't been added [per Ben Porter]
- Sort Ideas doesn't work
- Sorting search is broken.
- Multiple tabs and not logged in issue
- Safari/Mac date problem
- KB interface difficult to use
- Can't post threads into KB articles
- Forums site slow to load
- <pre> tag not available
- RSS feeds are unusable [Jonathan]
- Email notification system needs work [Jonathan]
- Profile image & notification problem [Jonathan]
- Clear cookies, re-login, reenter search [Richard]