7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2013 6:47 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Dashboard Screen resolution

Ajit Kumar

HI,

I have created some dashboards and set the dashboard size to Automatic. When I send the same workbook to other user and if they open it in Laptop or in some different resolution screen the whole formatting of the dashboard went off. The size of the text and the graph get changed.

Please suggest me any way to overcome from this problem.

Ajit

• 1. Re: Dashboard Screen resolution
          Russell Christopher

Hi Ajit -

The behavior you're seeing is expected. Whatever is inside the dashboard will grow/shrink to fill the entire available dashboard area. The easiest approach is to set the dashboard to a specific size.

• 2. Re: Dashboard Screen resolution
            Shawn Wallwork

I think we might need to start employing Tableau's KB article strategy of noting when something might be out-of-date, namely:

Article Note: This article is no longer actively maintained by Tableau Shawn Wallwork. We continue to make it available because the information is still valuable, but some steps may vary due to product changes.

This particular post was written pre-floating objects. Due to the introduction of floating object I no longer need to create many different dashboard sizes to accommodate different user screen resolutions. Instead I set up 'exact' dashboards and float every object that 'touches' the dashboard. In effect I prevent Tableau from doing the 'tiled-jigger-juggle' to mindlessly fit everything into a compact space (with lot of scrollbars). --Shawn

Ajit,

What Russell said is one way of dealing with this issue. It has the advantage of being easy and locking in your layout. The disadvantage is that if you create your dashboards in a 1920x1080 environment (like we do) and then try to display it in an 800x600 laptop, your users are going to get one scroll bar at the bottom and one scroll bar at the side, they won't be able to see the whole viz at once. But like I said the advantage is your layout is locked down and you won't get squished filter, or small scroll-bars for the individual worksheets.

Here are the solutions we've come up with:

1. Find out the users screen resolution and design specifically to it (works best if you reset your screen resolution to that size, or as close as you can get). Lock it in by using the Exact setting
            2. If there are multiple users with different screen resolutions then you may be able to set up a range, but this is tricky and the range can't be too wide or it won't work. (More on this below.)
            3. If there are multiple users with different screen resolution then design to the smallest resolution, again using the Exact setting. The advantage is it will work for everyone, but the high resolution folks will start asking you to fill in the white space with more graphs/info.

If you are going to use the Exact setting and don't want to get scroll bars, don't forget to account for the Windows task bar (below, but maybe to the side) and the Tableau tool bars on top. These will take up some pixels, so when we are designing for 1600x900, we use an Exact setting of 1590x740, and then ask our clients to send us a screen shot if that doesn't work, so we can make the appropriate adjustment.

If you want to use the Range setting (#2) so you can accommodate more users, and get some of the benefits of self- adjusting layouts, then you'll need to do a bit of testing, and don't try to range too far. Here are the ranges we have found work fairly well for our workbooks (but it depends on the layout design).

High Resolution #1     Min: 1590x740      Max: 1600x1200

This allows for different aspect ratios. It accommodates either  1600x1200 (4:3) or 1600x900 (16:9) Since it's a range it has the added advantage of self-adjusting to the individual users task bar/tool bar set up. It also has the advantage of working well in a WebEx, which forces a 4:3 aspect ratio, and then fills the rest with the green band depending on each individual viewers resolution. (This is our most common setting.)

High Resolution #2     Min: 1430x740     Max: 1600x1200

One of our clients has a range of monitors from 1440x900 to 1600x1200. This does a pretty good job of accommodating this range. We usually put filters along the right, and we have to give extra white space at the bottom, or we'll get filter scroll bars at the lower resolution.

Low Resolution:     Min: 795x440     Max: 1024x768

This is what we use if the workbook is going to be run through a projector. Most (not all) projection systems are 1024x768, and these setting work well. It also accommodates a laptop running at 800x600.

So generally we make two different workbooks, one high rez and one low rez. A bit of a pain, but it keeps the scroll bars at bay!

Here's a handy chart that helps explain the resolution/aspect ratio problem:

res.PNG

Here's the Wiki link to it.

I'd be very interested in hearing about any other ranges others have found useful and for what resolutions/aspect ratios.

Hope this helped Ajit.

(Jonathan, I sure wouldn't mind if you included this in that link file you're putting together. )

--Shawn

• 3. Re: Dashboard Screen resolution
              Michael Cristiani

Here is something else we have run into that we have not found documented anywhere.  If it is documented, maybe someone could provide the KB link or other link.

Our experience is that f a workbook published on 7.04+ Server has no dashboards that use Automatic for size, then any worksheets in that workbook, when viewed on the Server, will be limited to the pixels set for one of the non-Automatic dashboards.  So for example, if a dashboard in a published workbook is set to 800px x 600px, but you want to view one of the workbook's regular worksheets that was developed on a Desktop using a higher resolution, only the first 800px across will be visible.  No scroll bars, no warning.  This seems to be the result of some fixes in 7.0.4 to the way Server renders published workbook views and dashboards.

But, there is a simple solution that users / customers may find acceptable. Include a dashboard in your workbook that acts as a splash screen.  Set its resolution to Automatic.  For convenience, include a navigational worksheet on the dashboard (see this KB article for details: http://bit.ly/Ub8P6l).  Republish the workbook on Server.  Any worksheets in the workbook will be viewable at the resolution intended.

Hope this is clear.  If not, I can provide more details / explanation.  Or maybe, someone else has a different / better solution?

Peace and All Good!

Michael W Cristiani

• 4. Re: Dashboard Screen resolution
                Jonathan Drummey

I'd missed this post the first time around, this is a brilliant bit of work. I can't imagine how much fiddling it must have taken to come up with these guidelines!

• 5. Re: Dashboard Screen resolution
                  Shawn Wallwork

Thanks Jonathan. We did spend quite a bit of time testing workbooks on lots of different peoples computers, conference room computers, and projectors. It's a tricky issue, both for us and the T-Devs. Glad you find it helpful.

--Shawn

PS: You open for business this morning?

• 6. Re: Dashboard Screen resolution
                    Jonathan Drummey

Not 'til tomorrow, sorry!

• 7. Re: Dashboard Screen resolution
                      Jonathan Drummey

test message, please ignore.