4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2017 2:06 AM by Slobodan Lohja

Is Tableau Connect to Lotus Notes file(.nsf) ?

Emre Kartal

Hi Everyone;

Is anyone know how Tableau 7.0 connect to lotus notes files (.nsf) ?  I try many things to connect, but everytime I can manage the connection.

I install NotesSQL, lotusnotes, etc.. but Tableau can't connect the files.

If anyone knows how to connect Tableau to lotus notes, I will realy appriciate.

By the way, this is very urgent, I need to make a POC to one of my customer. My competitor is Qlickview

I will wait your answers

• 1. Re: Is Tableau Connect to Lotus Notes file(.nsf) ?
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Emre,

Tableau does not connect to Lotus Notes directly. However,

it may be possible to connect to it through ODBC. The following links from our Knowledge Base articles describe ODBC and how to customize a database with ODBC so that Tableau can connect:

http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/knowledge-base/tableau-and-odbc

http://www.tableausoftware.com/support/knowledge-base/customizing-odbc-connections

Hope this helps!

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Is Tableau Connect to Lotus Notes file(.nsf) ?
            Robert Morton

Tracy's guidance is correct -- you will need to customize your ODBC connections to make it behave properly. Fortunately for Lotus Notes another customer has already gone through this process. Follow the instructions below to get a working connection through the "Lotus Notes SQL Driver (*.nsf)". You will need to create an extract after completing the connection in order to have full functionality and performance, since the NotesSQL syntax does not support the full functionality needed for a good experience in Tableau.

We have an experimental mechanism for tuning Tableau's behavior for generic ODBC data sources, and another customer has been able to use this to create an extract from a Lotus Notes connection. This mechanism is known as Tableau Datasource Customization (TDC), which is detailed in the link that Tracy shared for our KB article on Customizing and Tuning ODBC Connections.

To make use of this, start by downloading (and unzipping) the attached .tdc file.  You will need to place this file in the following location, and restart any open instances of Tableau to pick up the changes.

For Desktop:

• My Tableau Repository\Datasources

For Server (note that the Server data directory differs depending on your OS):

• C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources
            • ...or the following for older systems: C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources

I hope this helps,

Robert

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is Tableau Connect to Lotus Notes file(.nsf) ?
              Slobodan Lohja

You can also turn on Domino REST services on the Domino server.  You can then get the data direct (faster) using a Web Data Connector.  The Domino server essentially is treated like a node.js server.  You can even build UI and mobile native apps against the REST api because it allows full CRUD and discovery.

For example, you can hit the REST service at the server level to return you all the NSF files on the server.  You can then drill into the specific NSF files (Collections) and return JSON data of the documents.  Each JSON document has a url to the actual document to get all the fields, you can a lot with it.

Documentation:

IBM Notes and Domino Application Development wiki : IBM Domino Access Services 9.0.1

The Tableau Web Data Connector URL would be something like

https://server.domain.com/filename.nsf/api/data/collections/name/viewname?count = 500000

Make sure the user id / password is in the ACL of the NSF file at minimum read (and has read access to documents restricted at the document level - NSF security is very granular to the field level).

Make sure the view your going after has a property set to allow for Data Access via the REST service.  By default Domino doesn't expose all the data on the server.  This gets very granular too on what the Domino Admin / Developers will allow you to consume.

The Notes views are easily formatted, they can combine data fields, format them ahead of time so you do not have to do it in Tableau (faster reporting).

The field names can be changed to whatever you want, so if the developers thought fname for the document field name, you can ask them to use FIRST_NAME.

• 4. Re: Is Tableau Connect to Lotus Notes file(.nsf) ?
                Slobodan Lohja

I wrote a blog about how to install the NotesSQL Driver with some screen shots.  There are different versions of the NotesSQL Driver dependent on what Domino server version you are using.  You want to download the right one.

User Interface Design with XPages | Don’t forget about the NotesSQL driver