2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 11:51 AM by Tracy Rodgers

Values not displaying in data table

John Grant

Two questions re the attached data table...

1.  Sheet 1 summarizes the ad copy and performance metrics for two ads in a fictitious paid search campaign.  The raw (Excel) data that the table is based on has identical data values in the Headline category of both ads (Red Sneakers).  Tableau does not display this info for the second ad apparently because it views it data as being part of a hierarchy.  Is there a way to force the headline to be shown for the second ad?

2.   The table can not be sorted on the basis of any of the measures (Impressions, Clicks, CTR).  When I removed several of the dimensions from the row shelf (see sheet 2) it was then possible to sort on the measures.  Why is this?  Is there a way to be able to sort on measures with all of the dimensions in place?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Values not displaying in data table
          Jonathan Drummey

1. I don't think there's any way to force this in Tableau. It puts more cognitive load on the viewer when data elements are repeated, so Tableau doesn't display them in the headers unless it's required to, such as in the Display URL field on Sheet 1 in your attached workbook. (Neither does Excel when using pivot tables). If you move the Headline blue pill to the right of the Line 1 blue pill, you will see that "Red Sneakers" is now repeated.

2. Tableau doesn't sort measures, it sorts dimensions by the chosen measure(s), data source order, or manual sort. It took me a bit to wrap my head around this at first, after years of selecting a column and clicking Sort in Excel. The dimensions that are sorted in a view are highlighted in bold. On Sheet 1 in your attached workbook, the Display URL pill is sorted.  You can change the sort by clicking on the pill and selecting Sort... from the menu, by manually dragging dimensions around, or in Tableau 7 by using the one-click sort options on measures (that change the sort for the right-most dimension pill).

• 2. Re: Values not displaying in data table
            Tracy Rodgers

Hi John,

There is a workaround to get the desired view in your first question. Right click on Line 1 in your data box and select Duplicate. Then, place this Line1 (copy) field to the farthest left on the rows shelf. Right click on it, and un-check Show Header.

In terms of question 2, Jonathan is spot on.

Hope this helps!

-Tracy