4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2020 12:46 AM by Benedict Venmani

Show Filter card Vs Legend Card

Benedict Venmani

Hi,

I am learning Tableau and I observed that when I pull a dimension into my viz, a legend is automatically added as a card and lets me filter on the dimension values.

In addition, I can use the 'show filter' option to add a filter card for this dimension. I see both these cards having different options for customization.

What I do not understand is, when the legends card by itself serves the purpose of filtering data, why do I need to add a filter card?

eg: Here I have the 'show filter' card on top and the default legends card for category next. Both can be used to filter data.

-BenedictShowFilter.JPG

• 1. Re: Show Filter card Vs Legend Card
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Benedict

Not sure what scenario you used to do a filter, but generally, legend is just highlight the chart instead of filter data out, while filter will filter the data from the view. see below difference.

Hope this helps

ZZ

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Show Filter card Vs Legend Card
            KALPIT GOYAL

Hi Bendict,

In your case it is showing the sum total of the sales so that is why it seems similar but through color legend it is not filtering out the data but when you apply through filter it is actually filters the data.

Kindly use the Percent of Total to understand the case clearly. I have tried with Percent of Total, kindly refer to the below screenshot:

cat.png

cat1.png

cat2.png

Now if you refer to the screenshot then you will notice that Category filter is filtered out the Technology data out of 100% and color legend did nothing except highlighting Furniture.

I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Kalpit

• 3. Re: Show Filter card Vs Legend Card
              Madhavi Shirbhate

Hi Benedict,

Both work differently,

Filter: If you right click an option within a sheet in the dashboard and select exclude or keep only, that action applies to that sheet only.

Legend: It is basically used for highlight. You can select a color on a legend though, the highlight occurs on all sheets within the dashboard which use the same dimension.

Attached is the tableau file for your reference.

• 4. Re: Show Filter card Vs Legend Card
                Benedict Venmani

Thank you all. Nice of you for taking your time to explain this to me with examples.