We’re currently not enabling R integration with our Tableau server environment due to the constraint of Tableau server only allowing a single Rserve instance that requires a server restart.
Idea Request: Allow Multi Rserve instances on Tableau Server without server restart
1. We want multiple RServe instances so that each dashboard can have its own dedicated instance. This is due to:
- Security: certain business units have different security requirements for their RServe instances
- Performance: Giving each user their own instance prevents their compute times from suffering due to limited resources
- Versioning: Separate instances allow users to control what version of R they use, what version of different packages they use, etc.
2. We want Tableau server to be able to accept a new RServe instance without restarting the server in order to:
- Spin instances up and down as needed and connect them to Tableau server on the fly. A use case for this
would be if a dashboard requires a large compute cluster to do its processing,
but we don't want to pay for it to be on all the time.
- Make updates easier. We don't want to have to take down the Tableau Server every time we want to make an update to the RServe environment.