Skip navigation

'Save As' Versioned Format (v. 10.5)

score 77
You have not voted. Released

What is your idea?

I would like to see a feature implemented that would allow a user to save work created in Tableau Desktop as a previous supported version of Tableau Desktop (real backwards compatibility built-in). Discussions of this feature exist in this idea:

I'm thinking something like this would be great (have the ability to select which version you save a file). If you create LOD expressions and you try to save in version 8, it would prompt you. But if you created a workbook with features that were supported in v8 and you wanted to save as v8, then we should be able to do that.

What problem are you trying to solve or what scenario would this idea solve?

• Major and minor releases of Tableau Desktop are not compatible with previous versions as described in Desktop and Server Compatibility | Tableau Software
    • Example: You cannot open a Tableau Workbook in 8.x that was created in 9.x
    • Example: You cannot open a Tableau Workbook created in 9.0 that was created in 9.1
  • Reduced complexity of rollout
  • Upgrade quicker and more often
  • Smaller downtime window for user community
  • More involved user testing earlier in the process

What workaround have you found and used so far (if any)?

• Promote saving versions of workbooks
  • Making sure users make copies of their workbooks during minor and major upgrades to preserve format

What is your role in your organization?

I manage the Tableau platform environment (All products: Server, Desktop, Mobile) for my organization.

Vote history