Skip navigation

'Save As' Versioned Format (v. 10.5)

score 77
You have not voted. Beta

What is your idea?

I would like to see a feature implemented that would allow a user to save work created in Tableau Desktop as a previous supported version of Tableau Desktop (real backwards compatibility built-in). Discussions of this feature exist in this idea: http://community.tableau.com/ideas/2902

I'm thinking something like this would be great (have the ability to select which version you save a file). If you create LOD expressions and you try to save in version 8, it would prompt you. But if you created a workbook with features that were supported in v8 and you wanted to save as v8, then we should be able to do that.

save-as_versions.png

What problem are you trying to solve or what scenario would this idea solve?

• Major and minor releases of Tableau Desktop are not compatible with previous versions as described in Desktop and Server Compatibility | Tableau Software
    • Example: You cannot open a Tableau Workbook in 8.x that was created in 9.x
    • Example: You cannot open a Tableau Workbook created in 9.0 that was created in 9.1
  • Reduced complexity of rollout
  • Upgrade quicker and more often
  • Smaller downtime window for user community
  • More involved user testing earlier in the process

What workaround have you found and used so far (if any)?

• Promote saving versions of workbooks
  • Making sure users make copies of their workbooks during minor and major upgrades to preserve format

What is your role in your organization?

I manage the Tableau platform environment (All products: Server, Desktop, Mobile) for my organization.

Comments