Skip navigation

Transliterate non-English URL letters to English (rather than deleting them)

score 10
You have not voted. Active

What

Please transliterate non-English URL letters to English on Tableau Server.

Why

Current behaviour of deleting non-English letters almost always makes our Faroese URLs:

• Ugly,
  • Incomprehensible, and or
  • Misleading

Examples

Here are two examples:

#__Workbook/View Name__Tableau 7 URL__If Transliterated
1Ódnin nov 2011dninnov2011Odninnov2011
2FøroyakortFroyakortForoyakort

Froya is an island in Norway, and not the name of Faroe Islands (Føroya).

This is an example of a word changing meaning by deleting non-English letters in Tableau Server URLs.

ENGLISH EXAMPLE

I do understand it is difficult to understand how it feels when oneself is not in the hot seat, that is, difficult for English language users to understand this issue. Therefore, even if Faroese has 8 non-English letters resulting in URLs missing several letters, I will try to make the pain less difficult to understand for English language users of Tableau by removing "only" one or two letters in the translation of Ódninnov2011, namely HurricaneNov2011. I believe if this URL behaviour was a reality in English, it would create an outcry in the forum and be among the most supported ideas to fix.

1 LETTER REMOVED_____

urricaneNov2011

HrricaneNov2011

HuicaneNov2011

HurrcaneNov2011

HurrianeNov2011

HurricneNov2011

Hurricaeov2011

HurricanNov2011

HurricaneNv2011

2 LETTER REMOVED

Huicaeov2011

HrricaneNv2011

urricaeov2011

HuicanNov2011

HrricneNov2011

rricaneNov2011

HuicaneNo2011

urricneNov2011

HuicaneNo2011

How

I do understand that supporting every thinkable language is costly if no ISO or other standard for transliteration of non-English letters exists. Therefore I ask only for a simple solution where we customers ourselves define which letters to transliterate to which English letter. Allowing non-supported languages to be customized by customers is also requested in Custom user interface language on Tableau Server.

If an ISO or other standard for transliteration of non-English letters exists, it should of course be used as default, but the list should still be open for customization. I think about something similar to this: http://drupal.org/files/issues/i18n-ascii-full.txt

Who Cares

I wonder who besides I cares about this issue. I believe many customers speaking Latin derived languages experience missing letters in their URLs and wonder if it is also true for non-Latin alphabets. Here are is list (bar chart) of some languages and their missing-URL-letters:

22   Norwegian

17   Slovak

16   French

15   Czech

12   Portuguese

11   Latvian

10   Icelandic

10   Hungarian

09   Lithuanian

09   Polish

08   Faroese

07   Spanish