Skip navigation

Prep - Place pasted step(s) where I drop them, not on the far left

score 3
You have not voted. Active

In Prep when we copy & paste steps the pasted step(s) are always placed on the far left of the flow in the upper-most available location. Here's a GIF:

paste step.gif

This has a couple of issues:

a) When my intent is to place the step at a certain location (for example I'm applying similar steps to multiple streams of data) Prep is actively contradicting my intent. Software that doesn't do what I want it to do is frustrating to use.

b) If I have a large flow and/or a small flow pane then the new Input step can be placed in a way that is not visible to the user. So I have to scroll to the left and move up & down until I find the step. This wastes time. Even worse for new users who are unfamiliar to Prep it's all too easy for them to think that the new step didn't actually get pasted (if they aren't paying attention to the configuration & profile panes) and end up doing multiple pastes.

I'd really like to be able to paste things where I want. I understand that given Prep's automatic layout behavior that if I pasted a large set of steps that could cause a lot of rearranging of my flow, so something like a "Paste Step at this Location" option added to the existing "Paste Step" could be sufficient.

A related idea for dropping Input nodes where we want is https://community.tableau.com/ideas/10862.

Comments

Vote history