Anakin Skywalker HAD a father. And I can prove it with data!

Version 1

--Originally posted on Linkedin: Anakin Skywalker HAD a father. And I can prove it with data. | Jarrod Voth | LinkedIn

Baby Daddy.PNG

I’m going to tell you a secret. A secret that began a very long time ago… in a galaxy far away.

--No, I’m not going to tell you the story of Star Wars. That tale is as old as time and famed as legend.

Instead, I want to tell you about the miracle birth of a child who bore no father. His name was Anakin Skywalker.

--No, I am not going to tell you about midi-chlorians or whatever gibberish the legends say. The fact of the matter is. Anakin Skywalker did have a father. And I believe I can prove who it is using a power that penetrates and surrounds us. It unifies and binds us. It is of course: Data.

The introduction of Tableau 9.1 in Sep-2015 introduced a new Web Connector that allows developers to write connections to any web content in HTTP. This allows rich analysis of nearly any data set. In advance of the release of Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens, the good folks at Tableau built a web connector to the Star Wars Databank (http://www.starwars.com/databank) and encouraged its users to go forth and analyze.

The data set includes data on the starships, species, people, planets, vehicles, and characters from the Star Wars Universe, as well as data on the films themselves. I connected to each of these sources and began “Data Spelunking” one cold Saturday morning, intending to focus my analysis on the starships of the Universe. It was around the time the Barista said “May this Fourth coffee cup be with you” that I had my Eureka moment.

The characters dataset included information about each character such as their birthdate, eye color, hair color, skin color, species, etc. And it occurred to me... What if everything we were told about Anakin’s miraculous birth was a lie? What if it was a lie told to cover up an even greater secret!

Armed with this hypothesis, I began to construct a Tableau Story that gave me the tools to begin ruling out potential suspects. Consider the genetics… Shmi Skywalker has black hair and brown eyes. And Anakin has blue eyes and blond hair. Dark features are dominant genetic traits, but if she had recessive genes for blue eyes or blond hair and the father also had dominant blue eyes and blond hair, the trait could be easily passed to their son.

Later, Anakin marries Padme Amidala, a princess from the world of Naboo, who has brown eyes and brown hair. Her Mother, Ruwee Naberrie had striking dark eyes and hair, whereas her father Jobal Naberrie had light eyes and light hair.

Padme and Anakin bear twins in secret; one of whom has blue eyes and blond hair; Luke, and one with brown eyes and brown hair; Leia.

Some core genetic assumptions would suggest to us that for these combinations to exist, each of the dark-eyed, dark-haired mothers had blue eyes and light hair recessive genes. Similarly, the fathers must have dominant light eyes and light hair for the combination of traits to present in each set of children.

The data set includes 81 suspects (This is every character named in the Star Wars Universe, but omitting each of the Skywalkers). When we focus on males, the suspect list drops to 59. When we focus on blue-eyed characters, we drop to 11 suspects. Next, we consider the age of Shmi and Anakin. The Father should be at least 20 years older than Anakin, so when we eliminate characters who were younger than 20 when Anakin was born, we drop to 5. Those 5 are:

• Chewbacca, A Wookie
    • Cliegg Lars, the slaver who purchased Shmi after Anakin left
    • Wilhuff Tarkin, a powerful General who later oversaw the construction of the Death Star
    • Finis Valorum, the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic
    • Qui-Gon Jinn, A Jedi who did not always see eye to eye with the Council

And when we eliminate Chewbacca, for obvious reasons, we’re left 4 humans with blue eyes, light hair, fair skin color, and the right age to be Anakin’s father.

So let’s ask ourselves… Who among these is so special that they would not only deny their child, but insist Anakin was a miracle child born from something called midi-chlorians?

I submit that there is strong circumstantial evidence that Qui-Gonn Jinn is the father of Anakin Skywalker. He is a powerful Force user who belongs to an order that forbids marriage. And when he encounters young Anakin on the planet of Tatooine, he immediately recognizes the child as his own. He sets the tone with Shmi by asking “Who is the boys father?”. Terrified, Shmi makes up the tale that we now know as lore. Qui-Gonn promises Shmi that Anakin will have a better life among the Jedi, and she allows her son to leave… with her father.

And no one discovered the truth, because his father died at the hands of Darth Maul shortly thereafter, and Shmi died at the hands of Tusken Raiders before she could tell her son the truth.

But now you know what the Skywalker Family Tree really looks like:

Skywalker Family Tree _ Complete.PNG