Tableau Server Xml Extractor (tSXE) workbook (Excel 2010 + version)

Version 9

This relies on what is known as "XML endpoints".  Very unfortunately, Tableau no longer supports these and they are no longer functional in version 10.0 and higher.

http://kb.tableau.com/articles/knowledgebase/xml-endpoints-no-longer-available

Thus this content is now outdated and will no longer work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an unsupported tool.  TableauSoftware support won't answer questions about this.  I or others may or may not support this.  I'll try to support this as best I can and answer reasonable questions.  It's not locked so you can play with the code yourself and do what you wish.  Just remember, this isn't an Excel help forum.  I just ask that you give me credit where credit is due, unless you're planning on using it for world domination, then I won't partake in that.  Too much work.  I like my weekends free.

Tableau Server (tS) administrators are having a difficult time getting the information they need out of the server.  The current views are too limited and we have to resort to hacking the database to ferret out additional information locked within.  Spurred by the thread here and with Russell Christopher's suggestion about getting data from the server using a piece of built-in functionality, XML output, and a recent foray into getting info out of an XML file using Visual Basic, I took on the challenge to find a way to make that additional data a little more accessible.

This application allows tS admins to extract the basic info they need without using a direct connection.  The output is dumped into a sheet, as a list table, so it can be further manipulated as desired (filtered, used as a data source, etc.).  The cool thing about this is that some of the info provided is not found in the views, like if a user is an admin and what type

This requires Microsoft Excel 2010 or higher.  I used MS Excel because it's the one tool I've seen that is deployed everywhere in the office environment (MS Word as well).  MS Access is not always distributed which is why I didn't opt to code in that environment..  It is a Visual Basic application so you must allow macros to run.  You should also have experience with Excel and understand how to use tables such as using data filtering -- basic Excel skills, not advanced, but definitely not for absolute beginners...I should hope to <insert your diety here> a tS admin would be someone with several years experience in IT and working with Excel would be a given.

I tried to keep a balance of understanding without too much complexity.  I'm NOT an Excel MVP so working with XML was challenging and not as straight-forward as I thought it would be...or maybe the VBA reference just sucks, I dunno.  Anyway, you'll notice that the left-most column is "Level".  That kind of shows you how far in horizontally you are in the XML structure, kind of like what column or new section you're in.  I used Microsoft's XML Notepad 2007 to display the XML structure of the tS XML output file.  I recommend the admin uses this tool or one similar so they can see the XML structure of the output file.  So, each time the data branched down/over a column a new level was reached so the Level counter was incremented.  This is necessary when XML tags are repeated, like "id".  For example, in my "users.xml" file there are four instances where "id" is used:  user.id, user.views.view.id, user.views.view.owner.id, and user.views.view.tags.tag.id !  Once the section was done the level was decremented because our view shifted over to the left one or more columns.

So with this information an admin who only needed a list of user friendly names would simply filter on Level '0' and XML Tag 'friendly-name'.  Alternately, filtering could be done on Parent 'user' and XML Tag'friendly-name'.  Ah...now you see why an XML viewer is needed, it is a tool to help the tS admin understand the XML output

Okay, hopefully this can help get people started.  I've been working almost non-stop on this for 6 hours and am fatigued.  I'll be able to work more on documentation later.

03June2014 - For more info on the XML output see Russell Christopher's excellent blog post about it.

tSXE.xlsm (85.6 KB) Download