Listen!

Version 1

A few years ago a little book came out written by a pretty intelligent gentleman  called "The Signal and the Noise"

Image result for signal and the noise

and in my humble opinion the data analytics world has never been the same.  After all, that is what we're looking for when visualizing data in Tableau right?!?  Last year I was given the unique opportunity to start working with social media data...the epitome of a LOT of noise and VERY little signal!  I quickly realized the methods utilized in visualizing and analyzing this kind of data could apply across apply across fields and got at the heart of what I have been trying to do for years.  The title of this presentation was called "Listen!" meaning we must open our eyes and ears to listen to what the data has to say...in this instance literally listen to what people were saying.  I applied the 5 basic questions of journalism to this analysis: who? what? where? when? and ultimately the why behind what they are saying.  I have also included a copy of the workbook showing some great methods for analyzing social data using Tableau as a search tool as well as the visual analytics powerhouse that it is.

My mom's words kept ringing in my ears: "we have two ears and one mouth, so listen twice as much as you speak"...I think this advice could go a long way these days!

Listen... by Christopher Scott on Prezi