Central Administrator FAQs

Version 16

My company just purchased Tableau eLearning and named me as Central Admin, what does that mean?

Tableau eLearning is a cloud based eLearning solution. As the Central Admin, you will be in charge of administration of the Access Codes, providing the code(s) to new users, and management of codes.

What are “eLearning Access Codes?”

An eLearning Access Code is the “license key” that Central Admins receive for distribution to users. The Access Code is a unique code that will be distributed to and used by learners for authentication during their first login to Tableau eLearning.

How do I get my eLearning access code?

Go to the Tableau Customer Portal. In the bottom right corner of the page, click “eLearning Access Codes.”

How do I distribute access codes to students?

As a Central Admin you will have received an “Order Confirmation” email from Tableau. This email has a link to the Customer Portal – this is where you will login, and retrieve the Access Code as well as the template email you may use in distribution to your users.
    View this PDF for a brief overview on how to get your access key, distribute it to learners, and use it to login to eLearning.

Is there a template email I can use to distribute access codes to students?

Yes. Download this document. It’s as simple as putting this document into an email, tweaking the Access Code and Expiration date, and then emailing to all learners that you would like to access the training.

What does the Customer Portal have to do with eLearning?

Tableau’s Customer Portal, is a website where Central Admins and Procurement are able to manage licenses and find invoices. As the Central Admin for Tableau eLearning, you can retrieve the Access Code here, as well as see who has registered using the Access Code. At the Portal, you can also download usage statistics for your Access Codes and users.

How do I know how many seats we bought, and when they expire?

Go to the Tableau Customer Portal. In the bottom right corner of the page, click “eLearning Access Codes.” When the page loads you’ll see each of your Access Codes listed. The “Max Uses” shows you how many users are allowed to use the code, and “Expires” lets you know the expiration date of the Access Code.

How can I see who is using the Access Code?

Go to the Tableau Customer Portal. In the bottom right corner of the page, click “eLearning Access Codes.” When the page loads you’ll see each of your Access Codes listed. Click on the Access Code to expand the section. You’ll see a list of students that have registered, and the number of registered students will align with the field “# Uses.”

What if someone gives away the Access Code to people who I don’t want to have the Access Code?

As a Central Admin you’ll want to periodically check the Access Code list for names or email addresses that you don’t recognize. If you would like to remove users from the list, please log a Support Case to discuss removal.

What if someone leaves the company and I want to re-appropriate their license?

Tableau eLearning licenses are non-transferrable once used.

Is license sharing allowed?

Tableau eLearning licenses are non-transferrable and intended for 1 user per seat.

How can I tell if someone has completed their training?

We are working on a method that will allow you to access usage data from the same customer portal you use to get your Access Code. Also, on their own, users are able to print a certificate of completion for each completed course. See How do I print my certificate of course completion?

Is there a report I can pull on employee eLearning usage, and/or lesson completion?

We are working on a method that will allow you to access usage data from the same customer portal you use to get your Access Code.

As a Central Admin, do I get a seat to eLearning as well?

As a Central Admin you’ll need to use the Access Code and 1 seat in order to access the eLearning training. You’ll want to follow the directions you send to all new users in order to access the system.

Where can I send learners for answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs)?

You can send learners to the eLearning User FAQs page.

When I try to sign in to Tableau eLearning, I’m told that my password is incorrect. How can I reset my password?

1. Go to elearning.tableau.com.
    2. Click the Forgot Password link under the Sign In button.
    3. A password reset email will be sent to you.

I’m having trouble signing in to the Customer Portal. What can I do?

Double-check the following:

1. Make sure you are typing the URL (https://customer.tableau.com) correctly. That URL should open the correct sign in page.
    2. Make sure you are signing in using your Tableau ID. If you don’t have a Tableau ID, see How do I create a Tableau ID?
    3. Try resetting your password. See How can I reset my password?

How do I create a Tableau ID?

1. Go here to begin creating a Tableau ID account.
    2. Fill out and submit the form.
    3. Confirm your email address via the Tableau ID confirmation email.