Happy Monday! Hopefully, everyone had a great weekend after what seemed like a long week. Here's a peak into what was happening -
First off, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for the outage on Wednesday, and thank you for your patience if you were effected by it. We are working with our vendor to make sure that this won't happen again.
Last week, we had a wonderful Think Data Thursday about Web Connectors presented by Robert Rouse, Craig Bloodworth, and Tamas Foldi. It was a great session for all levels. Robert explained how and when to use a Web Data Connector, while Craig and Tamas, both went more in-depth into how to build one. I definitely recommend checking it out if you missed it: TDT: What's a Web Data Connector? - November 5, 2015
This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone - Tableau Zen Master, Joshua Milligan received the "Answer Wizard" badge (aka 100 correct answers). Joshua has been a critical part of the community for several years now - answering people's questions, sharing information on getting a specific view or using a quick trick. He also is very creative in how he has used Tableau to create games - check out his blog! http://vizpainter.com/
Most Talked About Thread
**This is characterized by the number of responses in a thread
Piotr Adamczyk asked his first question in the forums because he needed help with DATEDIFF with condition - tracking working time. He certainly got a quick response from Tableau Ambassador, Mark Fraser, who asked some clarifying questions to be able to give a simple solution. When Piotr asked for additional help, kettan stepped in with a SQL solution. This was friendly conversation between all three, and there was a lot of appreciation for the community going around
(One of the) Top Viewed Threads
If you haven't seen this thread yet, I definitely recommend checking it out What do we want to learn from the Iron Viz finalists? There are responses from a bunch of Iron Viz contestants. Hear what it's like being on stage, where they started with Tableau, or ask your own question!
Top Voted Idea
This is a brand new idea - created just last Tuesday - by Timo Tautenhahn (a Tableau employee) - Search Box for SAP BW Queries and InfoProviders (Released in 10.1). It is a very simple idea, but would make the user experience using SAP BW and InfoProviders much easier. It already has 27 upvotes, and I have a feeling, it will continue to grow.
In Other News
- Ann Stolzman started a good conversation about How do your organize what cool stuff you've learned in Tableau? It's a good thread seeing how people organize the way they learn things differently - it also brought up a couple new resources for learning Tableau.
- Ever wondered how Tableau uses authentication and authorization in Tableau Server? Dmitry Goldenberg asked Security in Tableau? ACL's, roles, row-based?Glauber Ribeiro provides some good details to help make sense of it all.
- Maybe impossible: I'd like to expand one staff member's data at a time - this post by . Berrett.Rice is one that couldn't go unanswered. With the help of Shinichiro Murakami, he was able to get a solution that would work while he waits for a new version mentioned by Joe Oppelt that shows another viz in a tooltip.
- Rody Zakovich is at it again - sharing workbooks in the Workbook & Calculation Library - check out this new one: Z-Scores the LoD Edition!
- This used to be a fairly common question - Showing Missing Months In A Line Graph created by Michael Gee - drew a pretty good discussion. Dustin Wyers provided the solution that solved the issue, but Jonathan Drummey provided more context, and both kettan and Daniel Vincent added other options.
This is just a glimpse into this week. Feel free to send any suggestions, comments, or submissions my way at firstname.lastname@example.org
Until next week, happy analyzing!