Oh man, is it just me or do the weekends seem to be flying by lately? If so, ease into the week by taking a look into what happened in the Tableau Community last week:
Last Monday, Tableau 9.1 was released. It has some little improvements that are definitely worth the download - don't want to check if there is a new version, now you can get automatically updated from with the Tableau product. Probably the biggest feature with this release is the Web Data Connector, giving you access to even more data sources. See some examples of what people have been creating in the WDC section of the new Developer Forums community.
Who's going to Tableau Conference this year in Vegas?! Join the conversation here: Tableau Conference.
This is a really cool way to use Tableau - talk about thinking out of the box: 'Think outside the Show Me Box': Recreating Photoshop in Tableau | Tableau Software
Last week, two people received the "I Know Stuff!!" badge (meaning 10 of their responses were marked as Correct). Daniel Vincent has been a member of the community since 2013, but has recently become very active, helping lots of people. Wesley Magee joined the community this past April and is already starting to make an impact, achieving this badge pretty quickly. Hopefully, we'll continue to see a lot more of Daniel and Wesley!
Most Talked About Thread
**This is characterized by the number of responses in a thread
Last week's thread was started by ankit.narula in Calculate Date of Retirement. Ankit was trying to find when an employee's retirement would be based on their birth date and assuming that they would retire at age 65. With the help of Pablo Saenz de Tejada, Mark Fraser, and Chris Dickson, several calculations were provided that have helped Ankit get closer to the solution. Ankit, let us know which answer in fact solved your issue!
(One of the) Top Viewed Threads
The issue that several people were having with Google Chrome Error When Opening View was fixed by Google last week. If you are still on the 45.0.2454.85 upgrade to the 45.0.2454.93 version and it should solve the issues!
Top Voted Idea
For the second week in a row, Jennie Kearnes's idea to Customise the default font permanently has been the most voted idea. This week it received 19 votes. . Tableautester mentioned a third party tool and Jonathan Drummey commented on how one workaround is to copy and paste formatting.
In Other News
- Rody Zakovich started a very theoretical discussion in regards to Tableau with How Do You See Tableau's Canvas? in Viz Talk. Mark Fraser provided a response that details his understanding of Parallel Universes. Super interesting - anybody else have a perspective? Continue the discussion!
- The following thread (Minimum Requirements... | Tableau Support Community) started by Mark Fraser in the Server Administration section of the community received a lot of attention - and was a great discussion. Tableau employee, Carisa Chang jumped in the convo, and helped to provide some context for the change in documentation.
- Lance Dacey asked about Conditionally Formatting Tables. With the help of Niccolo Cirone, Lance learned how to write a calculated field that would get the desired outcome. Additionally, Daniel Vincent showed Lance the Color Blind color palate so that all end users would be able to see the view.
- Another good one from Rody Zakovich - he created and shared Multi-Level Sorting with Ranks in the Workbook & Calculation Library, definitely one to check out, especially if you're still learning about LOD expressions.
- I know that I've run into this issue before - Ryan Alexander was having an issue Cannot Add Trend Line But All Fields Are Numeric? It was a quick fix, Emily Chen showed he just needed to change from discrete to continuous, as well as provided him some documentation so he better understood what was happening.
That's a wrap for this week's Digest. As always, feel free to send any suggestions, or comments for this digest to me at email@example.com
Until next time, happy analyzing!