Welcome to today's Community Digest. Grab your lunch, a cup of coffee, or just settle in for a quick overview of last week's happenings around the community:
Maintenance releases for version 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, and 9.0 were released last week. For more information about what was fixed, check out the Release Notes | Tableau Software.
Interested in learning more about how Zen Masters have become so "zen" in learning Tableau? Check out this blog post about their tips in How to Improve Your Data Skills & Become an Exceptional Human Being | Tableau Software.
Will you be at Tableau Conference this year in Vegas? If yes, be sure to stop by the Tableau Community Meetup!
Steve Martin achieved the "Questions for Breakfast" badge - aka he has had 25 of his responses marked as correct! Steve has been a member of the community since 2011, and has steadily been participating and helping people out. Thank you for everything that you have done for the community and continue to do, Steve!
Most Talked About Thread
**This is characterized by the number of responses in a thread
Hrishikesh Panchal asked a question about How to change format of Custom Date Option? Joe Oppelt, Daniel Vincent, and Bora Beran provided Hrishikesh with a couple of hints and documentation with how to get the desired outcome. However, he was still having some issues, so Joe walked him through the issue, in a step by step reply to get Hrishikesh the abbreviated date using a continuous date that was converted to discrete.
(One of the) Top Viewed Threads
Monika G posted this question back in 2013 - How to create Top 5 and Bottom 5 values with respect to a Measure in Bar graph in same worksheet. This is a cool thread because it shows how Tableau changed from version 7 to version 8. Russell Christopher showed how Monika's issue was solved using combined sets.
Top Voted Idea
Oh man - 3 weeks running! Jennie Kearnes's idea to Customise the default font permanently is the top voted idea - this week with 10 up votes. Tied for second this week are three ideas: Alerting mechanisms (posted by Xavier P), Multi-Values Parameters by Loic Grange, and Undo/Revert to Last change on the Server by Ajay Shenai all had 6 up votes.
In Other News
- Simon Runc shared this amazing workbook in the Workbook & Calculation Library - Sheet Swapping using Dashboard Actions (...or the Illusion of a Full Outer Join on Blended Data). It is a very subtle change when you click on the a bar in the top viz of the dashboard - to see it, you may need to download the workbook. Thanks for sharing Simon!
- I missed this thread a couple of weeks ago, but Nicole Edmonds posted an Educational Brain teaser - Fun with Formatting where she posted her final solution last week. Alexander Mou showed how he did it using LOD expressions, and Simon Runc also shared how he uses a similar solution to Nicole's for a client's dashboard. Thanks for starting this fun thread, Nicole!
- This is a great example of when to use Index vs. Rank - HELP! Ranking Order in Tableau Table posted by Rebecca Bauer. With the help of Kris Erickson, Daniel Vincent, and Rody Zakovich - they explained how to make the change and get the desired outcome.
- Sometimes, you need to step away and have someone else take a look to realize you are over complicating something you're trying to do. Felix Curran found a simple answer provided by Pooja Gandhi and Simon Runc in Calculation for Number of Days with Value.
- Rody Zakovich started this thread a couple of weeks ago - How Do You See Tableau's Canvas? - but, last week, the conversation really got going. Definitely, worth a read.
Thanks all for checking out the digest this week! Until next time, happy analyzing!
As always, feel free to send any suggestions or comments for future digests my way at email@example.com
Have a fabulous week!