The summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere took place yesterday (Sunday, June 21), making it the longest day of the year. It's a big day, here in the Fremont neighborhood of the Tableau HQ. There's always a big parade with body painted bike riders, floats, and dancers. In the Community, there wasn't quite as much excitement, but always lots of content. Here's a look into what happened last week in the Community -
Did you make it to the TDT: Getting the Most Out of Tableau Server on June 18th, 2015? If not, you can see the recording here: http://tabsoft.co/1FpjVsZ. Paul Banoub, Mark Jackson, Jeff Strauss and Toby Erkson all shared some tips and tricks on how Tableau Server is used in their organizations.
Diego medrano also announced the next Think Data Thursday which will be hosted by some Tableau employee experts: TDT: Tableau in the Cloud with Diamonds on July 16th, 2015 at 8am PST. If you've ever been interested in knowing more about Tableau Online - this is your chance to have your questions answered!
Speaking of Tableau Online, Matthew Crissinger shared Tableau Online Tip of the Week: Resolving Reoccurring Redshift Cursor Limit Errors.
Um, wow! From the Tableau blog, Jeffrey Shaffer shared How to Send Text Messages in Tableau + Why You'd Want to | Tableau Software. I've never even thought about Tableau doing something like this!
Two people achieved the "I Know Stuff!!" badge this past week - having 10 of their answers marked as correct. Pietro Luigi Gentini has been a member of the Community since 2012 and recently has become very active answering questions and participating in the Ideas section by voting and leaving comments. Thank you Pietro for all your help!
The other person who received the "I Know Stuff!!" badge is Esther Aller, a Tableau Support employee. Esther only joined Tableau and the Community back in February of this year, but it already making an impact. Thank you for all your help and insight Esther!
As a reminder in regards to our recent point changes, don't forget to "Like" threads and responses to provide feedback on quality content! (Tableau Community Point System Changes).
Most Talked About Thread
**This is characterized by the number of responses in a thread
Adam Harrison joined the Community last Friday, asked Row Date Listing and received an answer the same day. With the help of Pooja Gandhi and Rody Zakovich, a parameter and calculation was created so that the end user could input the date ranges. The result lead to Rody coming up with a solution to add to the The specified item was not found.. Love when that happens.
(One of the) Top Viewed Threads
Jonathan Drummey SMMC posted one of his Educational Brain Teaser: One-click sort for a table calculation. It received a good bit of discussion about the level of difficulty - with Jim Wahl including a follow up brain teaser. These are always fun to check out and learn from!
Top Voted Idea
This one is a Tableau Server idea created by John Munoz - Use Administrator account to subscribe users to emails. It received 8 votes last week, giving it a total of 197 up votes. This would definitely be a great feature to have!
In Other News
- Nora Kelmendi asked how to Identifying fields in use in a workbook. Though, she didn't get the exact answer she wanted, Shawn Wallwork provided her with a GIF to demonstrate how to show only fields that are being used, and Sankarmagesh Rajan suggested creating an extract.
- Albert Ćosić was running into an issue with Tableau Server Cluster Controller Logging. Dan Scott, a Tableau engineer, took a look and provided some background information on a potential way to solve it. Though it did not resolve it, Albert found a work around it, and posted the solution that did work for him.
- Nadia Garrett asked how to Aligning images to a filter. Mark Fraser provided a viz and blog post by The specified item was not found., and though it wasn't the solution Nadia was looking for, it got the creative juices flowing, and she was able to resolve her issue.
- At the beginning of the month Patricia Santillan asked How do I filter all records by the results of the most current month? She provided a detailed question with a workbook, and had a couple of people provide some potential solutions. She responded with more details so that people were able to better understand what she was looking for. With the help of Ailsa Zheng, a parameter and dynamic set were created to get the outcome. In addition, Ailsa provided the KB article where she had learned how to do this - always great to see knowledge sharing
- Alexander Mou saves the day for xiaoxiao.ma using LOD expressions in Saving table calculations to new column.
Have great week and happy analyzing!
As always, feel free to send any submissions, suggestions or comments for this digest my direction at firstname.lastname@example.org