Monday, Monday, Monday - here's to the start of a great week! And a glimpse into last week...
This week changes to the Tableau Community point system will be made on Thursday. Interested in seeing what will be changing? See Tableau Community Point System Changes.
Are you a Tableau Online user? Or thinking about trying it out? You'll want to keep an eye out for the Tableau Online Tip of the Week posted by Diego medrano posted each week (mostly on Thursdays). Check out the first one here: Tableau Online Tip of the Week: Get Rid of Data "Out of Date" Alert
Tableau Server user? Then, next week you don't want to miss TDT: Getting the Most Out of Tableau Server on June 18th, 2015 with Paul Banoub, Toby Erkson, Mark Jackson, and Jeff Strauss. Click here to register.
These are two big ones! Both Mark Fraser and Alexander Mou received the "Answer Wizard" badge - meaning they've answered 100+ questions for people. Both Mark and Alexander have been valuable members of this community - thank you both for everything you've done to help people get the answers they need.
Suhrid Ghosh and Nicholas Hannan also achieved the "I Know Stuff!" badge - 10 of their responses were marked as correct. Suhrid has been a member of the Community since 2013, but has recently become very active. Nicholas only joined this past May and is already making a big impact. Thank you Suhrid and Nicholas for your help and contributions to this Community!
Most Talked About Thread
**This is characterized by the number of responses in a thread
Shijin Mathew asked how to do a Grouping of Dataset based on then sum of a measure. Shijin got a number of responses from different people, Jeff Strauss, Sai Manikanta N, Alexander Mou and Jonathan Drummey. Alexander put a solution up on Tableau Public that helped Shijin get closer, but ultimately, Jonathan's detailed response got him closest to the answer he needed even though his company is not yet on Tableau 9.0.
(One of the) Top Viewed Threads
Back in 2013, Monika G asked How to create Top 5 and Bottom 5 values with respect to a Measure in Bar graph in same worksheet. Last week, it got 380+ views. This past April, Alexander Mou wrote up a blog post on this topic and posted it here, helping people with similar questions.
Top Voted Idea
Edit alias of table calculation title on a published data source by Ryan Knight this past March received 9 votes this week, as did Parameter Hierarchy posted by kettan.
In Other News
- Mark Jackson shared an Instant Render Viz Portal in the Workbook & Calculation Library using Tableau 9.0. Mark is always sharing how to customize the Tableau Server experience.
- Like brain teasers? Try this one by Simon Runc: Educational Brain Teaser: Scatter Plot - detail & percentile indicator - can you do it in Tableau 8? And Tableau 9?
- Nebih BEN CHEIKH asked how to find the Last occurrence Position in a string. It became a little more complicated since he was using a URL as a string. Shawn Wallwork and Tom W provided a couple of solutions using Tableau 9.0 (Tom even taught Shawn a new function). Looks like the best answer for Nebih was to upgrade to 9 from 8.
- Joel Hughes needed to find the Number of days between a ship date on row #1 and the next order date on row #2. Sabine Oussi provided a formula, but Joel's data was on a separate lines. Cyril Belmehdi introduced the lookup function and with Pooja Gandhi acting as a second set of eyes, Joel was able to get the solution he needed!
- Ivett Kovács was having an issue with Peer certificates in the Server Administration area. Mark Fraser, Damien Lesage, prasanna ravi and Tableau's Mark McGhee provided some helpful answers. However, Damien's screen shots and description of where to look to find the root certificates helped her get to the information she needed.
Another great week and more to come next week. Have a fabulous rest of your week and until next time, happy analyzing!
Feel free to send any suggestions, submissions or comments my direction to firstname.lastname@example.org.