Happy Friday all! Hope it was a good week - the Community was active as always - take a look into a brief synopsis:
We've got a Think Data Thursday event next week (November 20 at 8:00 am PST) - "Let's talk about sets, baby!" with one of our Product Consultants, Bethany Lyons. Be sure to register here: Think Data Thursday - Let's talk about sets, baby! | Tableau Software, and if you want to check out conversations around the event or see past events, check out the Think Data Thursday group.
Recognition & Resources:
If I had to choose three words to describe kettan's contribution to this community - I would have to say organized, insightful, and extremely invaluable. From categorizing ideas (Johan's Ideas Collections) to keeping track of who achieves what (The specified item was not found.), Johan now has a new series he's been sharing with the Community - his FAQ's. Check them out here:
Thank you Johan!
Most Talked about Thread:
**This is characterized by number of responses
This week's most talked about thread was actually a Server question! Erin Gehn asked if Administrator able to view all subscriptions? She got some great answers from Grayson Deal, Toby Erkson and Matt Lutton who shared their experiences. And she even got James Baker to comment on all the feedback!
Top Viewed Thread of the Week:
Well the top viewed thread this week is the same as last week's (Color Coding by column instead of the entire row). So instead, I'll provide the next most viewed - which is an epic thread posted by Alexandre DAVID back in 2013 - How to count distinct users on a running period. There's no wonder that it got a lot of views, when it had many of our Zen Masters (Joshua Milligan, Jonathan Drummey, Richard Leeke, Shawn Wallwork, Joe Mako, Matt Lutton and Noah Salvaterra) participating, as well as one of our Tableau's table calculation gurus, Ross Bunker chiming in. Though this thread is Pre-Version 8, there is still some relevant and useful content.
Top Voted Idea of the Week:
No surprise Dynamic parameters got the most votes this week (17 in the 7 days). However, “Web Data Connector” for Tableau Public (Released in 9.1) submitted by Steve Fenn got the second most votes this week with 11 out of the total 14 - not bad considering, the idea was just created last week!
In Other News:
- Have you checked out the Workbook & Calculation Library lately? Toby Erkson added a new workbook added a great one for Server Admins: Server admin reports for workbooks, data connections, data sources, and their schedules while John Zong Zheng Chew added an awesome workbook showing time series Discrete Fourier Transform - Identifying Cycles in a Time Series
- Cristina Palo asked how to have One Filter or Parameter to show multiple measures Both KK Molugu and Tableau kumar taught Cristina some new techniques to use in the future. It took her providing a sample workbook for KK to get her the answer she needed!
- Oz T asked a question regarding tabserver64 on Linux, what does it do ?Jeff D was able to provide an answer that was able to help, while Patrick A Van Der Hyde is working internally to get this documented better.
- I just like joe major's response to KK Molugu's solution in Re: How can I keep the Sub total from averaging?
- Melissa Black was having some Difficulties with Tableau maps, when she was filtering her view, and nothing was selected, she wanted to show the map with no points. Both Matt Lutton and Simon Runc provided similar examples using floating objects - always a nifty trick with dashboards.
- Containers on dashboards aren't quite as straightforward as one might hope. Container Problems posted by Bouzid A is getting a lot of action right now - Matt Lutton, looks like you're really getting into this one
As always, if you have any feedback or would like to submit anything for this weekly digest - drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.