Skip navigation

Okay, I exported my Default Site on my QA Server as in Part 1.  Copied the file to the destination PROD Server and ran the importsite command.  No errors, yes!  Then I ran the importsite_verified command...SUCCESS!  Here's the output of it all and it took just 9 minutes for the verify command:

Here's the imported Site:

 

The first thing I did was go to the Schedules page and Disable all of them so nothing goes out to my end users.  My testing is finally complete   Now I know what to do when I am ready for the actual Site transfer.

 

In summary

The export process is pretty simple, however, the import process is unforgiving!

tabadmin export

-  If you do have to do additional exports you do need to remove the original file or else rename it as the export process will not over-write the zip file if it already exists.

 

-  The export process does take some time and it locks the Site from EVERYONE!  The Site I moved had:

Users:  2121

Groups:  41

Projects:  28

Workbooks: 121

Views:  563

Schedules:  8

Data Sources:  77

My export times averaged 51 minutes for the above.

 

-  Much of the time my QA Server looked like it was doing nothing so while the process is running just be patient.  If you must stop the processing try Ctrl + c, that worked for me.

 

tabadmin import...

-  When it comes to the import it's best, as we've seen, to just fix everything and not try to work around it, especially when it comes to end user errors.  However, if you get no errors then the whole process moves along rather quickly.

 

I hope this helps some of you.  While it's not a difficult process it does require manual error checking, which can be a real bummer since automating it wouldn't be easy between Servers if there were any differences.  This would probably be easier if the Site contents was being moved to another Site on the same Server.

****-a-doodle-do!  Good morning and let's continue...

 

Okay, I added and deleted Users on QA and PROD as necessary.  What a PITA (Pain In The A...well, you get the point)!  I also copied my corrected mappingsScheduleMapper.csv file so I could re-use it since it's already fixed and nothing has changed schedule-wise on both Servers.

 

I then re-ran the exportsite command on the QA Server and other export steps.  I copied the newly created qa.zip file to my PROD Server as in Part 2 and ran the importsite command:

tabadmin importsite tempqa --file D:\temp\qa.zip --tempdir D:\temp\temp_working


 

Next, I copied my previous mappingsScheduleMapper.csv file into the mappings folder, over-writing the one that was there.

 

Okay, let's try the verified import now.  Here's the command:

tabadmin importsite_verified tempqa --importjobdir D:\temp\temp_working\import_tempqa_20150414081357052


 

Oops, got an error!  It was just one, the mappingErrorsSystemUserNameMapper.txt file.  Here's what's in it:

Unrecognized target_name ??? found in the mapping file
Unrecognized target_domain_name ??? found in the mapping file


 

Oh, that's an easy fix.  I opened the mappingsSystemUserNameMapper.csv file and the first entry had ??? so I deleted it.  I ran the command again and...another error?

source_name FZARRAN is missing from the mapping file


 

Uhg!  So I just copied a current user in the mapping file and replaced their AD (Active Directory) name with FZARRAN:

FZARRAN,americas.addir.com,FZARRAN,americas.addir.com


 

Saved it and ran the import command again...failed.  Same error.  That user doesn't exist on the PROD Server and isn't in AD.  So I'm going to remove them from the QA Server...done...  Okay, that error is just too generic.  There is other checking going on so it looks like I have to redo the export once again

 

Instead of following the process as I have been I'm now going to get the verified import done and then report back.

...< a few minutes pass >...

On a whim I looked at the files in the root import directory import_tempqa_20150414081357052 and the file sourceSystemUserNameMapperEntries.txt caught my attention as it showed my erroring user:

FZARRAN    americas.addir.com


 

I deleted that line from the file, saved it, crossed my fingers, and re-ran the import...5 minutes later and no errors so that is a great sign as if there was an error it would stop the import process within a minute or two.  Unfortunately, a few minutes later the import halted with this error:

Looks like I have to start all over, again